Monday, July 9, 2007

What did I say?

While preparing material for my return to proactive political communication, I took the opportunity to review some of my campaign material and remind myself of what I told people while I was campaigning. I think it is important for an elected official to carry through on the promises made while campaigning. When it comes to politics, almost nothing frustrates me more than having a candidate get in to office to say "I know what I said, but ..." I think that is wrong. So reviewing my campaign material has given me an opportunity to see if I have changed my mind since I've been in office. Have I held to my campaign statements? My current self-assessment is that I have not changed my position on the major issues I campaigned on, though I will admit progress has not been as quick as I had hoped on some items.

Here is a list of topics I discussed in my campaign emails:

· Fiscal restraint

· Financial Accountability

· Quality Growth

· Working with the City

· Purpose of Government

· Procrastination

In the next few months I will talk in more depth about these issues, especially as some of them tie in to the ballot issues that Sylvania voters will be facing in November.