Friday, October 5, 2007

Township Taxes Reduced!

It took a little bit of work, but I did it - I have reduced your taxes. I firmly believe that we can run government more efficiently without reducing services, thus saving you, the taxpayer, money. This is a step in that direction.

In the last few months, it became apparent to me that the police department has more in cash reserves, almost double, than was expected after voters passed the 2004 2.5 mil levy. Clearly, we have enough money to operate the police department at current levels, and there was no reason in my opinion to continue to collect more than we need. We can reduce the police revenues without reducing service, laying off employees or otherwise negatively affecting the safety of our community.

I applaud the police department for their fiscal stewardship while providing excellent service. Many of our officers and staff live in the township and understand the burden that high property taxes place on our residents and businesses.

The tax holiday is not large, just $660,000 out of a $22 million overall township budget. But it is a first step, and I will continue to work to reduce your taxes and limit any increases to those absolutely necessary.